Industry and Business
Strengthening the industrial base and developing the new regional value chains
- Improvement of strategic ventures for industrial development
- Alignment of industrial development strategic efforts with innovation and Smart Specialization strategies (S3), as well as with the priorities of 4th Industrial Revolution
- Development and internationalisation of region’s value chains in priority sectors
- Triple the value of export of goods and services per capita from the region, from EUR 1,780 to EUR 4,250
- Established public-private-academic dialogue in industrial development and innovation
- Commenced preparation of Smart Specialization (S3) and Entrepreneurial Discovery Process (EDP) platforms throughout the region
- Initiated activities in development of regional value chains and joint products in priority industries
- Initiated pursuing reindustrialisation of SEE region through analysing, designing and coordinating national industrial policies
- Commenced preparation of joint regional products and value chains in priority sectors
- Collected the priorities of public and private sectors by integrating the voice of businesses in competitiveness-related activities at the regional level
The RCC’s activities in the areas of industry and business focus on strengthening the industrial base, and include coordination of regional public-private-academia dialogue on re-design, implementation and monitoring of industrial policies, and aligning them with the acquis, as well as with Smart Specialization (S3). The RCC supports increase of industrial competitiveness through introduction of inclusive innovation policies, including alignment with the Fourth Industrial Revolution and establishing initiatives for development of regional value chains and participation in the EU programmes and other projects that can improve industrial competitiveness of the region. Furthermore, sectoral work (currently in the area of tourism with intention to add more value chains in other priority sectors for the region) facilitates development of regional value chains and their integration into European and global value chains.
The RCC will work on improvement of industrial base in the region supporting: design and implementation of regional approaches to industrial development and the current priority sectors by promoting their internationalisation; FDI attraction through targeted investment promotion activities; and addressing main barriers hindering not only the development of these sectors per se but also creation of the regional value chains. These activities are included in the flagship with the objective to seek relevant synergies and interdependencies in a coordinated process of programming and implementation among the involved stakeholders.
The efforts will focus on promoting regional dialogue among the SEE economies and information exchange on economic transformation and diversification as well as on effective industrial policy design. While an important objective is to improve existing and introduce new policy instruments to expand production base, the industrial policy is not limited only to manufacturing. Industrial policy structure will also address issues related to the priority sectors and those related to SME development and entrepreneurship.
Furthermore, the RCC will work on supporting business integration of the region by creating value chains in priority industries – either in the form of supply chains or joint regional products/offers – and support their international promotion. By doing so, we intend to help our business reap the benefits of economies of scale, whilst becoming more competitive on the global market and increase exports. Naturally, the voice and participation of the business is crucial in this, and we will integrate private sector more in our work.
The RCC activities in this agenda are mostly being implemented through the following:
Our Next Steps
In the forthcoming period the RCC will:
- Assist the region to address barriers and challenges to industrial development;
- Support reindustrialisation of the region through inclusion of innovation, and alignment with Smart Specialization (S3) strategies and priorities of 4th Industrial revolution;
- Assist SEE economies in fulfilling particular obligations related to industry, stemming from the EU pre-accession process;
- Identify and prioritise common issues and challenges hindering industrial development;
- Facilitate concrete and tangible projects related to promoting exports;
- Work on developing joint products/offers and supply networks, andpromoting them internationally (i.e. regional tourism routes for domestic and global travellers);
- Implement direct interventions on the ground to address specific and immediate gaps identified by the region;
- Assist the region in developing and promoting joint products, services, and supply chains;
- Initiate and foster public-private partnerships;