Energy and Environment
We work on promoting sustainable use of energy and improving our region's capacities to address environmental issues
- Secure and affordable energy, efficiently used with greater share of renewable sources
- Safeguarded environment - clean air, water and soil
- Mitigation and adaptation to climate change
- Implementation of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and achievement of 2030 energy and climate policy targets for the Western Balkans
We promoted protection of environment and use of clean energy, but also:
- Established regional intergovernmental environment platform, which streamlines key regional projects
- Introduced ‘Water, Energy, Food and Ecosystems Nexus’ approach in South East Europe (SEE) for sustainable management of natural resources, and
- Analysed transport corridors’ climate resilience
- Established regional platform to protect biodiversity and ensure its sustainable use
- Joined the initiative to increase detection and disruption of environmental crime
The work of the Regional Cooperation Council (RCC) on energy and environment focuses on promoting sustainable use of energy in particular in the public sector and the transport sector in the region, following the principle “energy efficiency first” in line with the Energy Union priorities. RCC also endeavour to improve our region's capacities to address environmental issues, meet international commitments and safeguard the environment
The region is characterized by high energy intensity, which makes the economies less competitive on the global market. The RCC is working towards supporting the economies in achieving their 2020 energy targets, but also in developing and implementation of 2030 energy and climate goals, as the next mandatory and challenging task for the region. To facilitate the achievement of the strict commitments from the Paris Climate Agreement, RCC’s activities focus on climate change mitigation. The RCC will support the region in the process of transition to efficient use of energy, sustainable energy for mobility purposes with the primary aim of increasing competitiveness, decreasing energy costs and providing significant savings in GHG (Green House Gasses) emissions and mitigating climate change. A sustainable approach to connectivity takes into consideration the need to mitigate detrimental environmental impacts of infrastructural interventions and enhanced transport/energy movements. Introduction of climate proofing standards in legislation, planning, engineering and construction is seen as the principal disaster risk adaptation to climate change hazards in SEE.
In 2018 RCC published the regional Study on Climate Change in Western Balkans. In 2019 RCC provides analytical support analysing how the ongoing digital transformation will influence the environment, trying to provide answers on how to integrate environmental sustainability into digital revolution of the region.
The RCC activities on environment are being implemented through the:
Our Next Steps
In the forthcoming period the RCC will:
- Encourage broader use of alternative energy sources
- Enhance regional cooperation in environment and climate change
- Integrate environment and climate policies into other policy areas, such as energy, transport, digitalization, agriculture, etc.
- Mobilise highest political commitment for addressing environment and climate changechallenges in SEE
- Support sustainable use and protection of biodiversity in the Western Balkans
- Strengthen cooperation with other relevant regional organizations and initiatives and intensify work in these areas
- Support preparation and implementation of the Green Agenda for Western Balkans
- Intensifying of activities to fight air pollution in the region with several cities among 20 most polluted cities in the World.